Amrit Dhara - Dhyanyogi Omdasji

Amrit Dhara - Dhyanyogi Omdasji

Thursday 26 January 2012

Guru Seva - Deepak


The Guru showers love equally on all of his disciples. But the disciples should have the capacity to receive and hold his love.  There is no favoritism or discrimination on part of the Guru when he showers his love and blessings on all. The Guru is like the Sun. The Sun shines equally on all. But if someone insists on sitting in a room with all doors and windows closed, he will not receive the sunlight. The Sun cannot be blamed for this. When a disciple has great love for his Guru, is loyal to him and does Guru Seva in the right spirit, he becomes a worthy vessel for holding the Guru’s love and blessings. This is one such story – the Story of Deepak and his Guru Veddharma.

Guru Veddharma lived in his Ashram on the banks of the Godavari River in North India. He had many disciples and loved all of them equally. Once he wanted to test and see which of his disciples loved him truly. He called all of them and announced: in my last life, I committed a big sin. In this life due to my tapas and other spiritual practices, I have burnt off some of the bad karma. I have to undergo the balance soon. It will affect me in the form of a disease which will cripple me. It will stay with me for two years after which I will be normal. I intend to be in Kashi during this period. Which of you will come with me and serve me during this period?

None of the disciples volunteered except Deepak. Deepak was a loyal disciple of the Guru. He loved his Guru very much and saw God in the Guru.  He told Guru Veddharma: I will come with you and serve you these two years in Kashi. The Guru said: think before you offer. I will be very sick and bedridden. It will not be easy to take care of me. I will be blind and lame for two years. Deepak replied: I am not afraid. But can I go to Kashi for two years, take your sickness and suffer instead of you?  The Guru was very pleased to hear this offer from Deepak. But he refused it. He said: Each of us have to suffer the consequences of his karma. I alone will suffer for my karma. But you can come and serve me.

In a short time they left for Kashi. And within a few days of reaching Kashi, Guru Veddharma’s body developed boils and he became lame and blind. Deepak went to the nearby homes and asked for alms to take care of both of them.  The Guru was in great pain and very irritable. He would get angry and shout at Deepak for no reason. But Deepak was patient and smiling. He put up with all the tantrums of the Guru and served him  with loyalty and love. 

Seeing Deepak’s Guru bhakti and Guru Seva, Indra, the Lord of Gods appeared. He offered a place in Heaven to Deepak. Deepak replied that the highest paradise was at the feet of the Guru and doing seva to the Guru and he sent Indra away. After some time, pleased with Deepak’s Guru Seva, Lord Shiva appeared. He asked Deepak to seek a boon of his choice. Deepak said: let me consult my Guru.  Deepak asked his Guru if he could ask Lord Shiva to cure him. The Guru  refused and it was not acceptable. So Deepak sent Lord Shiva away.

After some days Lord Vishnu appeared. He was pleased by the fact that Deepak saw God in his Guru and served the Guru.  When he blessed Deepak with a boon, Deepak asked for the boon of Guru Bhakti. The Lord duly blessed him and said: You have raised importance of both God and Guru with your bhakti and seva.

Deepak continued serving his Guru. His Guru was aware of all the Divine Beings who had come there and Deepak’s responses to all of them. Deepak had passed the Guru’s test. Guru Veddharma blessed him with knowledge, name, fame and long life. 

When a disciple is given a task or seva by the Guru, he should focus on it wholly and complete it. Whatever be the temptation which comes in the way as reward or appreciation, he should not abandon the Guru Seva. Guru Seva done without ego and for  love for Guru gives the highest blessings.